- Agree the framework and timetable for Pay awards within the Trust.
- Agree the pay and performance management policies within the Trust.
- Agree any pay awards for Principals and Executive staff members.
- Scrutinise Trust educational performance, against relevant Key Performance Indicators, to ensure that its business is fully compliant with all legal requirements.
- Assist the Board in understanding educational implications of delivering the actions in the business plan.
- Ensure that financial aspects of the Trust institutions’ curricula and staffing plans (including leadership posts), provide high quality education, which complies with the ESFA funding agreement, and value for money (curriculum-led financial planning).
- Oversee relevant Trust-wide education policies to ensure that these are compliant with statutory and advisory requirements from relevant bodies (for example, DfE, ESFA and OFSTED) and ensuring the compliance of relevant Local Governing Board policies.
- Make recommendations to the Board on educational performance matters.
- Ensure the highest quality reporting information is available to the Board.
- Oversee the implementation of the Academy Improvement Plans.
- Oversee the management of standards and quality assurance mechanisms within the schools/academies.
- Oversee internal and external professional reviews.
- Oversee the activity of the Local Governing Boards.
Resources and Audit
- Advise the Board on the effectiveness and resources of the external/internal auditors or scrutineers to provide a basis for their reappointment, dismissal, retendering or remuneration.
- Ensure there is co-ordination between internal audit/scrutiny and external audit and any other review bodies that are relevant.
- Consider the reports of the auditors/scrutineers and, when appropriate, advise the Trust Board of material control issues.
- Encourage a culture within the Trust whereby each individual feels that they have a part to play in guarding the probity of the Trust, and is able to take any concerns or worries to an appropriate member of the management team or in exceptional circumstances directly to the Board of Trustees.
- Provide minutes of all Resources and Audit Committee meetings for review at Board meetings.
- Review the external auditor's plan each year.
- Review the annual report and accounts.
- Review the auditor's findings and actions taken by the Trust's Executive Team in response to those findings.
- Produce an annual report of the Committee's conclusions to advise the Board of Trustees and Members.
- Take delegated responsibility on behalf of the Board of Trustees for examining and reviewing all systems and methods of financial control and for ensuring the Trust is complying with the overall requirements for internal scrutiny, as specified in the Academies Trust Handbook.
- Agree an annual programme of internal scrutiny/audit, which is objective and independent, covering systems, controls, transactions, and risks.
- Advise the Trustees on the adequacy and effectiveness of the Trust's systems of internal control and governance processes.
- Consider the appropriateness of executive action following internal audit/internal scrutiny reviews and to advise the Board on any additional or alternative steps to be taken.
Health and Safety
Ensure that the Academies provide an environment in which pupils, employees and visitors are safe.
Periodically review an Accessibility Plan for each site to meet the needs of DDA.
Provide support and guidance to the Head Teachers in all matters relating to the premises and grounds, security and health and safety as well as scrutiny of what has been achieved.
Periodically review completion of Risk Assessments.
Receive reports on incident volumes and thematic causes at the Academies.
Scrutinise completion of Fire, Asbestos, Legionella and other statutory maintenance tests and delivery of remedial actions.
Oversee the consultation of Health and Safety policies through the Joint Consultation Committee (JCC) meetings with the Unions and to ratify policies for use by the Trust.
Monitor the staffing establishment at the Trust macro level. Receive reports and make recommendations to the Trust Board on staff related Key Performance Indicators at the Academies with support/challenge to the Executive, as appropriate.
Monitor and review the arrangements for HR and Legal support to the Trust.
Oversee the consultation of HR policies through the JCC meetings with the Unions and to ratify policies for use by the Trust.
Determine and consider proposals by Local Governing Boards relating to Staff Handbooks and/or Terms and Conditions.
Review an annual report from the Executive relating to the premises and grounds and equipment and agree a statement of priorities for maintenance and development to be approved through the financial delegation of the Board/Executive/Academy.
Review an annual report from the Executive relating to the IT network and equipment and agree a statement of priorities for maintenance and development to be approved through the financial delegation of the Board/Executive/Academy.
Receive reports on remedial work authorised by the Executive/Academy in response to operational prerogative.
Monitor and review the arrangements for IT support, catering, cleaning and grounds maintenance across the Trust.
Review the Trust website on an annual basis.